How Gear Works
In this article
Gear is the name that PeopleSafe gives to equipment, plant, machinery and buildings. A Gear profile is a record for each Gear item added to your PeopleSafe site. A Gear profile is one place to hold all the Gear's information together.
Gear profiles are automatically created for an item when it's added, either one by one or a bulk import.
The following are examples of the different types of Gear a user might upload to PeopleSafe:
Safety Equipment (PPE)
Gear Fields Explained
|Gear Name|| The name of the gear, plant, machinery item or structure. Must be a unique name. Required Field.
|Details About This Gear||Additional details about the Gear item. Optional Field.|
|Serial Number|| The serial number of the Gear item. Optional Field.
|Asset Number|| The asset number of the Gear item. Optional Field.
|Other ID|| Any other ID number pertaining to the Gear item. Optional Field.
| Gear Type
|Location of Gear|| Where the gear item is physically located at your organisation.
| Gear Checks Needed
|| Checks and/or certifications required for the gear item as outlined in the Gear Type
|What Was Done|| Prepopulated list of check and certification records already added for the Gear item
|Notes||PeopleSafe will send out TXT alerts and recognise and receive TXT-in notifications from this number.|
|Attachments|| Place to upload files as attachments to the Gear item profile.
|History|| List of historical modifications made to the Gear profile. Date and time stamps the user who made the adjustment and the modification made.
How Gear Helps
Adding profiles for your Gear, Plant and Buildings in PeopleSafe makes it easy and efficient to collate and organize information; your data is secure and users have access 24/7. Expiring Gear checks and certifications automatically create tasks so no Gear check is forgotten. Safety Plans in PeopleSafe can outline how to manage risks to do with machinery & plant or explain what PPE is used to keep people safe.
The law says:
"The obligation under the law is that the company provides and ensures that any plant or equipment used by workers is safe and isn’t going to cause harm. So...
- Is it safe?
- Does it need to be maintained?
- Is it fit for purpose?
- What risks are associated with the Gear?
- Are we managing the risks?
- Do our people know how to use it?"
- Penny Swarbrick, SBM Legal
For further details see: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/2015/0070/latest/DLM5976660.html
How Gear Works
- Gear items are stored in the Gear Tab and can be accessed by clicking on the Gear, Plant & Buildings box.
- Users with Coordinator or Manage Users security clearance can record maintenance checks and certifications for Gear items.
- PeopleSafe will send email reminders and task alerts if a Gear item has never had the required checks or certifications recorded in PeopleSafe
- PeopleSafe will send email reminders and task alerts when a Gear item has checks and certifications due to expire.
- Gear Check and Certification Records are added to a Gear item profile when checks are recorded for that Gear item.
- PeopleSafe uses Gear as reporting categories in one-click reports
Expected Step by Step Process
- Create profiles for Gear items (Individual)
- Create profiles for Gear items (Bulk, via .CSV)
- Check & Certification records are added for the Gear items
- PeopleSafe alerts users when the checks or certifications are due to expire
- Safe operating procedures for the Gear item added to Safety Plans
- Users send TXT-in alerts about Gear items
- Users Tell Stories about damage to Gear items
- Deactivate Gear items as required
Adding, Editing or Deleting Gear
Adding Gear can be completed two ways, either one by one from the Add New button in the Gear Tab or importing a prepopulated .CSV file. Editing and deleting can be completed from within the Gear items' profile. Click on the Help Articles below for more detail.
Users with Coordinator Security Clearance can:
- Add, view, edit and deactivate Gear items
User with Manage Users Security Clearance can:
- Add Gear
- View complete list of Gear
- Edit and deactivate Gear items if they are the creator of the gear item.
Importing Gear via .CSV
Additional Gear can be imported at anytime, but must have unique name.
Additional information can be added to current Gear profiles by re importing a .CSV with the added data. As long as the name in the .CSV is identical to the name in the Gear profile PeopleSafe will update/rewrite the Gear item fields with the new data in the .CSV file.
Gear can be deactivated at any time. This will remove the Gear item from the list of Gear, Plant and Buildings.
Deactivating a Gear item will delete ALL existing checks and certifications, notes and attachments recorded for the item.
Gear cannot be activated once it has been deactivated. In the context of Gear, “Delete” and “Deactivate” effectively mean the same thing.
Related Processes and Tasks
Where a Gear item has Checks and Certification requirements associated with it, the PeopleSafe application checks each night if each Gear item is up-to-date with these requirements. If not, an email and a Task will be sent to Managers of the staff member and to PeopleSafe Coordinators, as detailed in Training and Skills.
Required and expired checks and certifications for Gear items are available as a reporting criteria in Gear and Tasks one-click reports.
Gear name, gear type, location and organisation fields in a Gear item are filters in the Gear smart-list.
The Gear list, and directly associated data can be exported in .CSV format at any time. How to: Export Data from PeopleSafe
PeopleSafe features and processes that make use of Gear include:
- Gear Types
- Gear Checks
- Tell Your Story
- PeopleSafe TXT-in
- One-click reports, smart-list filters, and custom reports