Add a Staff Member as a User
This article explains the steps to adding a new user to your Organisation, this includes creating their login. There are two ways staff are added:
1. As a New User of PeopleSafe or
2. As an Existing User.
An existing user will already have a PeopleSafe login and ID number, and are added to your organisation via the Connect feature in PeopleSafe. More Help
To Add Users, you'll need:
- Security Clearance of a PeopleSafe Coordinator
- To have gathered the basic details of the staff member who is a new user
- If adding an existing User, their PeopleSafe ID number
1. Add a New User
- Login to PeopleSafe, click on the People tab in the top menu. This will take you to the People Dashboard
- Click the Add new button on the right of the screen.
- Click on Add Staff Member from the drop-down list, a New User Profile screen will open.
Step Two: Staff Member's contact and Organisation details
- Enter staff details. Provide as much information as you can. Use the question icons if you need help. We recommend including as a minimum: first and last name, best contact email address, work email address, mobile phone number, emergency contact details and important medical information eg allergies. Note: The ID# is automatically added by PeopleSafe once the profile is saved.
- In the Email field add the Best contact email address for the staff member to receive alerts from PeopleSafe eg Training required, tasks to do, password resets.
- Enter Login Details. We suggest using the best contact email address for the Username. If you use an email address, check where the curser is to make sure there are no spaces at the end of the Username. Leave the password fields blank.
- Click No to Email the User a password reset token.
- Add the Staff member's Organisation specific details under Company details.
- The Work email field is where task alerts and other notifications to do with the organisation/s you are connected to will be sent. If you have Coordinator Security Clearance in PeopleSafe this email will be used to send you Story Alerts and Serious Harm notifications. If you don't have a work email address, use a secure email address you know will get through to you, like your personal email address.
- Select the Relationship: Staff Member.
- Select the type of Security Clearance you want to give them. How Staff Security Clearances Work
- In the TXT Alert Phone Number field add the User's cell phone number. Note: TXTs sent to this number will incur a charge after the 10th TXT sent in any one month.
- Add Jobs only if you already have Jobs set up. How to Create Jobs
- Click Save to finish. The staff member is now a User in your Organisation.
7. If you need to edit any of the details,
- Click the Options button at the top right.
- In the drop-down click Edit, the screen will change to edit mode.
- Update the details.
- Click Save.
Note: There are three parts to a User Profile: Personal details, Login details and Company details. The personal and login information belongs to the User. They and anyone with PeopleSafe Coordinator security clearance can edit these details.
Step Three: Provide Username and Password to User in PDF hardcopy
- In the Login Details section.
- Click on Reset Password and Generate Password PDF, a pop-up will appear asking if you are sure.
- Click Ok.
- It will then create the PDF which is automatically downloaded to your computer.
- The PDF will normally appear in your Downloaded file and a link to this is should display along the bottom left of your screen.
Note: A User will need to reset their password in the Web Application the first time they login. They can then go ahead and login to the Mobile App once they've downloaded it, using their new password. They'll receive an email to their best contact email address whenever their password is reset.
Step Four: Optional - add a Profile Photo
- To add a photo to a User's profile, the profile must first have been created.
- In the User's Profile screen click on Update Photo under the photo area.
- Click on Browse to search your computer to select the photo you’re looking for.The file must be a JPEG, and image size can be no taller than 1800 pixels and no wider than 2400 pixels.
- Click the Next Step button.
- Using your computer mouse click and drag on your picture, to select the area you want to use.
- Click the Crop button to save the image to your profile.
2. Add/ Connect an Existing User
To Add a staff member who is an existing User, you'll need:
- Security Clearance of a PeopleSafe Coordinator
- The PeopleSafe ID number of the User you want to add
- Login to PeopleSafe, click on the People tab in the top menu. This will take you to the People Dashboard.
- Click the Add New button, a drop-down list will appear.
- Select Connect Staff, this takes you to the Connect with a new Staff Member screen.
- Enter the 9 digit PeopleSafe ID number of the person you want to connect to your Organisation.
- Click the Lookup button, this takes you to the Connect: Add [ Name ] to my staff list screen. If the staff member is already connected to your organisation a message will appear on the screen.
- Select the type of relationship. Overview of Friend Relationship Status
- Select the type of security clearance you want to give them. How Friend Security Clearances Work
- Select one of the access options to their contact details.There are two choices: view only, which allows you to view their contact details, or view & edit their contact details. This allows you to reset their password and edit their contact details to keep them up to date.
- Add a Personal Message if you want to.
- Click Connect, the staff member is now added to your Organisation.
- Once you click Connect, if the User has a Best contact email address in their User Profile, PeopleSafe will automatically send an email asking them to accept the Connect request. While the User will normally get an email we suggest you also tell them you have added them to your PeopleSafe Organisation and to expect the Connect request.
- The User must login to PeopleSafe and accept the request before they get access to your Organisation in PeopleSafe and for you to see their contact details.
- If they do not accept the request you will need to talk to them.
- Remember, because the staff member is an existing User, they will already have their Username and Password set up.
Final screen– as soon as the User is added to your Organisation you can record information about them, but won't see their contact details until they accept your Connect request.